H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

Grape Ape is on a distinguished road
Default WTF.....

Came out to got to work Monday morning and my new H3 (3 weeks, 600 miles) would not start. I had dash lights, but the engine would not turn over. No clicking....nothing. I jump started it with my wifes vehicle and took it to the dealer. They had it over night and called me to pick it up. They said they hooked it up to the computer and could find nothing wrong. They said the battery was a little low so they put it on the charger. No real explanation as to what happened. So, I am just supposed to hope it doesnt happen again?
Anyone have this happen before?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Hummer Expert

jp's-h3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WTF.....

What a bummer!
I haven't had any probs w/ mine (almost 13,000 miles)

I hope that it doesn't happen again!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

a few people have had bad batteries , if it happens again tell them to replace battery . do you leave an Ipod in it ? some people had trouble leaving those pluged in too . if its an 06 the battery may of sat around a year
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

By any chance, did you leave ANYTHING plugged in overnight, like a cellphone or iPod recharger? Was your dome light switched on and left on overnight? Geeez, not very comforting that they couldn't find a problem, especially with such little mileage. Something put a drain on your battery. This may have nothing to do with it, but .. do you know that if you roll that interior light brightner wheel (that's what I call it .. ) all the way up, your dome light will stay on? I don't know if that would drain the battery overnight, but it does drain at least somewhat .. and makes the dome cover extremely hot. Let us know if it happens again!! Bummer!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

I had a bad battery that did the same thing a few weeks ago. It took 3 consecutive tests from a persistent tech until the fault was detected. Battery replaced and no further problems. According to my shop, they replace quite a few faulty, A/C Delco batteries on new GM vehicles.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOCON1
a few people have had bad batteries , if it happens again tell them to replace battery . do you leave an Ipod in it ? some people had trouble leaving those pluged in too . if its an 06 the battery may of sat around a year
Nothing was plugged in or left on...If it happens again I will insist on a new battery. If this happens out on the middle of nowhere I would be screwed.
Vehicle is a new 07.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3ster is on a distinguished road

I have been noticing my starts were feeling a bit weak this week and sure enough took the H3 to get detailed today and the door was open for 30 minutes and that was enough to kill it. Tipped the vatos and got in my shiny H3 and got the click click and had to ask for a jump. My H3 has 13k miles on it
Old 09-27-2006, 04:13 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh mine had a bad Battery after 5 months they replaced it no problems
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Lex_Ordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
If this happens out on the middle of nowhere I would be screwed.
Vehicle is a new 07.

Not neccessarily. Remember you have 1 Year of OnStar Safe & Sound.
Part of the plan is Roadside.
1) fuel to get you to a gas station if you run the tank dry. I think it's $5 worth.
2) Towing to a Hummer Dealership where a hummer mechanic can work on the vehicle.
Best part, is that is all free. I imagine if something doesn't fall under warranty then that's on you, But that is after it gets to the shop.
FWIW.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Elcova Newbie

MickGregory is on a distinguished road

I bought an H3 last November with only 60 miles on it. Never had that problem. Could have been a dead battery? Or maybe you were putting in Citgo gas.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Elcova Newbie

MickGregory is on a distinguished road
Default Hummers are smooth machines

I bought an H3 last November with only 60 miles on it. Never had that problem. Could have been a dead battery? Or maybe you were putting in Citgo gas. I'm thinking of putting on a wilderness rack. But first I have to pay $500 just to get the right rail parts put on.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Grape Ape I feel your pain.

Mine went dead in my driveway.

I didn't have the time or patience to mess with the dealer over a dead battery. I didn't want to have another stock GM battery anyway.

Next time it is at the shop I will give them the dead Delco and ask them to check for any electrical draw down or current loss.

I put in an Optima Red Top and so far so good. The Optima has 800 CCA Amps verses the stock one which is 500 CCA (I think)

And if it had gone dead in the boonies I would have been screwed. If the battery is totally dead I wouldn't count on OnStar working and besides I've been in places with no cell phone or OnStar Service.

If I had to walk out to get help (assuming I could hike 30+ miles in the desert) with a new vehicle sitting there dead I would not have been a happy camper >

Why doesn't GM put in a better battery to save all these types of hassles.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo
1) fuel to get you to a gas station if you run the tank dry. I think it's $5 worth.
2) Towing to a Hummer Dealership where a hummer mechanic can work on the vehicle.
Best part, is that is all free. I imagine if something doesn't fall under warranty then that's on you, But that is after it gets to the shop.
FWIW.

When my battery died my wife called onstar on lunch and requested a jump start latter that day when she was leaving work and when she got off they were waiting.
I continued my onstar after the year was up.

Desert Dan did you have to custom fit the battery ? Do tell. also part # of battery used thanks
I wasnt sure if I sould go for the red top or the yellow top.

H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 09-27-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have the Optima part number handy. The Optima came with a different hold down clip for the base of the battery. I wasn't able to use the webbed nylon strap do to it being too lose some mod will be needed.

Due to the terminal locations being slightly different on the Optima I wasn't able to put the plastic cover on. Some trimming of the holes will be needed.

I was a bit confused over Red and Yellow too, but I have had 2 Red Tops before and had no problems. The yellow (deep cycle) may be better for winching.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo
FWIW.
Thats great if you are near town. I dont think I can get Onstar to send me a truck out in the middle of the woods tho...turn left at the big pine..cross the creek and turn right at the swamp
Old 09-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
Grape Ape I feel your pain.

Mine went dead in my driveway.

I didn't have the time or patience to mess with the dealer over a dead battery. I didn't want to have another stock GM battery anyway.

Next time it is at the shop I will give them the dead Delco and ask them to check for any electrical draw down or current loss.

I put in an Optima Red Top and so far so good. The Optima has 800 CCA Amps verses the stock one which is 500 CCA (I think)

And if it had gone dead in the boonies I would have been screwed. If the battery is totally dead I wouldn't count on OnStar working and besides I've been in places with no cell phone or OnStar Service.

If I had to walk out to get help (assuming I could hike 30+ miles in the desert) with a new vehicle sitting there dead I would not have been a happy camper >

Why doesn't GM put in a better battery to save all these types of hassles.
You read my mind on the Optima battery. I was wondering if they made one to fit the H3. My wifes Jeep Liberty CRD comes with an Optima red top standard. I am going to look into it before I head to the boonies in 2 weeks.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ok..just checked the Optima website. They make a battery to fit a Packard, but not Hummer...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Khoolhandz is on a distinguished road

Had that problem when I test drove my H3 before delivery.

Too bad it was the only color and model they have that I want so I told them to replace the battery or no deal.

So they did.

I'm driving a beatiful Birch White H3 now for 2 months with no battery problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3ster is on a distinguished road

Took mine into the dealership today picked up a loaner H3 came back at 5pm and mine was all ready to go.

Verdict:Bad Cell in the battery they replaced it with a new one!

Also they fixed my heated seat which kept turning on when exiting the vehicle.

Sewell Hummer rocks
Old 10-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ok. back at the dealer. Same problem as before. Possible it may be the clutch safety switch for the manual trans. The battery has tested twice to have a full charge. They will have it over the weekend. They hooked me up with a "nice" Outlander minivan. I took it home and parked it behind the house so none of my friends see it. I will be driving my Tacoma beater until my ride is fixed.