H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale
Default Adjusting Headlights??

Hello all

Well after hunting off some rough roads last month ,my foglight broke off (glass actually snapped in half). Cable fell down and I believe shorted out the headlights as only 1 high beam worked Sooooo....I know this may be a lame question, but I gotta ask it. And yes, I have read the manual, but when I attempt to do it (align beams), it seems different. My fat fingers don't help either! I know there is a hex nut that adjusts beam up/down..but how do you access it? Do you have to remove the headlight lens covering (if so, how?). Can adjustments be made left/right also? Also, can foglights be adjusted too? HISTORY......I had the dealer install Sylvania Xtravisions headlights and Silverstar fogs....but their lame techs did not align them properly. I had same dealer install new lights last fall and they were aligned even worse. It's to the point of embarrasing taking it back in for headlight alignment ( i should be able to do it), and I'm actually sick of dealing with this dealership as the service department takes 2-3 trips to fix the same problem (very unreliable). I remember the days of just being able to access the adjusters from the front of a vehicle without dismantling everything. So, any quick answers on how to best align my lights? Thanks for not beating me down too hard on this

FishnMan
Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Adjusting Headlights??

Ok, I read another post here on adjusting headlights but I need to know how to expose that hex nut. The pic below shows the clear lens missing....how does one remove that lens...or do any other adjusting without pulling grills or anything else out?
Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Open the hood the vertical screw should be accessible near the headlamp. You will need a E8 Torx? socket or T15 Torx? screwdriver to adjust.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

On this note, what is the proper measurement of alignment? Height? Spacing? I think I may have to do mine as I have had a couple of people flash me since I had my torsion bars adjusted.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

The vehicle has a visual optical headlamp aiming system. The aim has been preset at the factory and should need no further adjustment.

However, if the vehicle is damaged in an accident, the headlamp aim may be affected and adjustment may be necessary.

If oncoming vehicles flash their high beams at you, this may also mean the vertical aim needs to be adjusted.

The vehicle should be properly prepared as follows:

? The vehicle should be placed so the headlamps are 25 ft. (7.6 m) from a light colored wall or other flat surface.

? The vehicle must have all four tires on a level surface which is level all the way to the wall or other flat surface.

? The vehicle should be placed so it is perpendicular to the wall or other flat surface.

? The vehicle should not have any snow, ice, or mud on it.

? The vehicle should be fully assembled and all other work stopped while headlamp aiming is being performed.

? The vehicle should be normally loaded with a full tank of fuel and one person or 160 lbs (75 kg) sitting on the driver's seat.

? Tires should be properly inflated.

? The spare tire is in its original location in the vehicle.

To adjust the vertical aim, perform the following procedure:
Find the aim dot on the lens of the headlamp.
Measure the distance from the ground to the aim dot on the headlamp. Record the distance.
At the wall or other flat surface, measure from the ground upward the recorded distance from Step 2 and mark it.
Draw or tape a horizontal line the width of the vehicle at the wall or other flat surface where it was marked it Step 4.
Notice: Do not cover a headlamp to improve beam cut-off when aiming. Covering a headlamp may cause excessive heat build-up which may cause damage to the headlamp.

Turn on the headlamps and place a piece of cardboard or equivalent in front of the headlamp not being aimed. This should allow only the beam of light from the headlamp being aimed to be seen on the flat surface.

Locate the vertical headlamp aiming screws, which are under the hood near each headlamp assembly. The adjustment screw can be turned with an E8 Torx? socket or T15 Torx? screwdriver.
Turn the vertical aiming screw until the headlamp beam is aimed to the horizontal tape line. If you turn it clockwise, it will raise the beam and if you turn it counterclockwise, it will lower the beam.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the opposite headlamp.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks F5! I'll follow up on this as I was in a low speed, front impact collision (my H3 ate a Chevy Aveo for dinner one day) about one month after I bought the H3. Further, I had the front end raised via the torsion bars. I suppose the combination could have knocked the lights out of alignment. Strangely though, it is usually only a few vehicles that flash and I have noticed that they are SUVs or small pick-ups as opposed to low cars, etc. Hmmmmm.....