H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I had a mishap at the gas pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisAJC
"DARWIN paging fourfourto!!!

Thankfully you didn't take out any innocent people who don't deserve to be around your stupidity. Leaving the engine running when filling up?

It's like saying 99% of the time you never leave your loaded gun in the kid's room. Jeebus.

ROTFLMFAO!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Nope. Never. And the AC, radio, etc. will work without the engine running.

Absolutely WRONG! The AC will only blow warm air when the engine is off. No fan belt turning the AC pump = no cooling. Still I wouldn't fill up with the engine running for numerous reasons.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

Years ago, before there was an H3, I had an Isuzu Rodeo. I was pulling my catermaran, on the way to the beach and stopped to get gas.. I had to go to the bathroom BAD.... I left it filling up on it's own..It was NOT running...as I came out of the can.. this guy comes running thru the store's door and says
"Theys a jeep out here..pulling two canoe and gas be going eberwhere!!"
That was my cue to run shut off the pump..Lucky I didn't burn the place down!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:07 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a sign at the gas station I owned that said customers were responsible for any cleanup. That much gas, I may have called HAZMAT if the person was an ass.

I have many stories from that business.

I leave my truck running all the time when I fill up.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03H3
I've been waiting for that to go to video, haven't seen it yet. I read other opinions on the chopper forum, most thought it was good. Of course they mostly live and breathe bikes, they hate the RUB's (Rich,Urban,Bikers) portrayed in the movie. I personally don't see anything wrong with riding in shorts and tennis shoes, when it's hot. I'm reckless like that.

End thread-jack.

One more thread jack. I watched it last night! LMAO!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
I had a sign at the gas station I owned that said customers were responsible for any cleanup. That much gas, I may have called HAZMAT if the person was an ass.

I have many stories from that business.

I leave my truck running all the time when I fill up.

Just think Ken, if you still had the station, he could be reffering this statement towards you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
I also went inside to tell the guy so he could clean it up and he gave me a look because he had to get off his a$$.

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Hummer Professional

lennyrebel is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: I had a mishap at the gas pump

Quote:
I was filling up on the way back from camping and I had the pump running as I was cleaning windshield(the pump had a lock clip I didnt wedge something in there) and it didnt stop when full and started to overflow all over the back of the truck. It must have put a couple of gallons on the ground.
Then the truck started to run rough and black smoke came out the tailpipe and then it stalled ?(yes I had it running as I was pumping gas)
It started back up a moment later and alls fine ,I saw a hose next to the office and hosed it down good.I also went inside to tell the guy so he could clean it up and he gave me a look because he had to get off his a$$.I wasnt in the mood to confront him about the couple of gallons I lost ,I was more concerned about hosing down the rig.
If he was pumping and it happened I would of had a $hit fit.

It must have backflowed into vent tube ,also it took a moment to settle down the fill tube.

This had never happend to me even if I wedge something in there, good thing no one was smoking
This has got to be a crime--don't tell me you yanks let idiots blow up gas stations. Why do you think you have to wedge something in handle-cause its stupid illegal and a crime.You should go to JAIL for stupidity if nothing else. Why do you think there are signs everywhere to shut off while refueling. Cause you'll blow yourself up who nobody gives a **** about {you should have died long ago according to the Darwin awards]but everybody else up as well. Every day I'm surprised at the new depths of stupidity that are discovered. The Rebel
Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnt wedge the lever open,it had a clip.
The point isnt I had it running its the pump didnt shut off
I mentioned it because it blew out black smoke and stalled.I thought others hear might find that interesting.

The attendant was lucky I wasnt in a bad mood and made them pay for a detail and the gas I lost.
There would have been trouble if the guy said I had to clean it up...Ya right its my fault the pump didnt shut off.
Most parts of Ny you can pump yourself (some towns are full serve only )and they remove the lock clip (on long island) when its self serve ,so the station had improper pumps .Something was also wrong with the pump for it not to shut off.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Most parts of Ny you can pump yourself (some towns are full serve only )

Pretty typical everywhere, we don't have any full service towns, but then again, I do live in Utah.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

OOOOPPS!!!!

I think I shouldn't be too quick to crucify fourfour here.

I do recall somewhere in Utah on the way to Moab with DRTYFN during September leaving the engine ON and filling up while sitting in the Hummer's toasty interior because it was just too cold and windy outside.

As I was finishing up, DRTY lit the cigarette in my mouth and proceeded to clean my windows.

So like you, 99.9% of the time I don't do that either.

Me =

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyrebel
This has got to be a crime--don't tell me you yanks let idiots blow up gas stations. Why do you think you have to wedge something in handle-cause its stupid illegal and a crime.You should go to JAIL for stupidity if nothing else. Why do you think there are signs everywhere to shut off while refueling. Cause you'll blow yourself up who nobody gives a **** about {you should have died long ago according to the Darwin awards]but everybody else up as well. Every day I'm surprised at the new depths of stupidity that are discovered. The Rebel

Shut it, Whiner.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

Steve #1 is on a distinguished road

To answer your question, the black smoke and stalling were caused by the engine running rich.

This most likely happened because the Fuel tank has a vent that goes to a carbon canister, which on most vehicles then goes to the intake. I'm not exactly sure how it is set up on the H3 but, it sounds like you got fuel going completely through the system. The engine ran rich and stalled, or it was just a quick shot of extra fuel and when the computer compensated, leaned it out, then caused the stall.

So, there's my answer to your question.

Now for filling up with the motor running.... shame shame shame on you. It's obviously dangerous and outright wrong. If you believe in hel, pack your bags because you are obviously on your way there.

Why? .......... well, it is the first thing on the list on all the gas pumps, right not to not smoking while you pump gas.....and well....... obviously everyone here knows you shouldn't do it..... because they've told you...... because it's on the signs.........

Somebody mentioned flash point. Maybe the problem is that if the vehicle is running, gas could get on the tail pipe, and if the tail pipe is over 475F (don't think it would be that hot) then you could have a fire. We all know the tail pipe cools off immediately when you turn off the engine. If you don't believe me, just grab yours next time you shut off the motor..... OK, so maybe that isn't the problem with pumping gas with the motor running.

Sparks from the ignition system? Maybe you could have fumes that aren't caught by the recirculation system, drawn in to the engine compartment, and ignited by a faulty ignition wire (there are still some cars with ignition wire on the roads) and boom...... but it would probably have to be a big puddle of gas to be at a volatile level considering the amount of air being pulled trough the engine compartment by the fan......

I'm still not sure.....

How bout this, we all know how safety conscious they are in auto racing, and we all know they shut the motor off while refueling at a pit stop....... wait, no, they leave them running.

I'm stumped, If anyone knows WHY you should turn off the engine while fueling, fill me in..... and don't say "because it says so on the sign."
Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I just tried searching about engine running when at the gas pump.
I cant find anything on the web ?
Alot about static

We all know the static charge we get from the H3 cloth seats(I covered them so not a issue) when getting in/out of our trucks, static snap like that could cause a spill to light up

By DuhWay
I just realized the wife was driving,she was behind the wheel, she forgot to shut off the engine

After 24 years together its not me or she its US like we are one.
If she does something stupid or good, I did something stupid or good
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

With the engine running you have an open ignition source in the Alternator

Here are the explosive limts for gasoline UEL: 7.6% and LEL: 1.4%.
The conditions for an explosion have to be just right but why take a chance?

If you have spilled gasoline on hot concrete under your car you could have a problem with electrical sources or static electricity.

Why do you think all the electrical conduit around gas pumps is in "seal off" Class 1 Div 1 conduit?

Guidelines for Fueling Vehicles (From Chevron) http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...e_safety.shtml
Turn off your engine. Disable or turn off any auxiliary sources of ignition such as a camper or trailer heater, cooking units or pilot lights.
Put your vehicle in park and/or set the emergency brake.
Do not smoke, light matches or use lighters while refueling
Use only the refueling latch provided on the dispenser. Never jam the refueling latch on the nozzle with any object (i.e. gas cap, etc.)
Never leave the nozzle unattended.
Do not overfill or top-off your vehicle tank ? it can cause spillage.
Do not allow children to fuel and /or assist fueling vehicle.
Never use a cell phone or other personal electronic device while refueling (for example, laptops, PDAs and electronic games).</B> These items should be left in your vehicle.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

On the way out of Paragon last year I went to fill up the H2. I turned off the engine, but did start the pumping with the clip engaged and then went inside to buy some food and drinks. All of a sudden some guy starts yelling that there's gas pouring out of the Hummer. I dropped everything and ran towards the door. There was gas everywhere. I seriously felt that I was about to see my H2 for the last time. It was a hot summer day and I didn't know whether to run up to the potential bomb or not. The indecision went away quickly and I ran to the pump and shut it off. Next while standing in a small pond of gasoline I had decide whether starting the truck in this pool was a smart idea also. Fortunately nothing blew when I turned they key. After pulling away to a safe place I went back inside a bit sheepishly to pay my bill. While I was angry that the pump had failed I had to admit blame for walking away. So now I just stay with the car when I fill her.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Steve #1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
With the engine running you have an open ignition source in the Alternator

Here are the explosive limts for gasoline UEL: 7.6% and LEL: 1.4%.
The conditions for an explosion have to be just right but why take a chance?

Very true, but if this was an issue, they would need to change the signs from "stop motor while fueling" to "wave off any vehicle that pulls up to the pump next to you using international sign language to inform the other driver that you are refueling and it is dangerous for them to run there engine within X feet of a pump dispensing fuel."

Am I taking it a bit far, sure I am, but if it's an issue, it's an issue.

I think some people made more of it than it is in reality.

I'm with you on the "why take the chance" and the majority of the time I shut the engine off and pump fuel. If I have kids and / or the dog in the vehicle on hot day, I may leave it running.

On a somewhat related subject, since it seems that fire awareness is a hot topic (pun intended) on this thread, I'm curious where y'all have your fire extinguishers mounted. I've only had my H3 a few weeks and haven't had a chance to mount mine. It is still in the box of stuff I removed from my last vehicle.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not only is that a sentence, it's a run-on sentence. Slow down man.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Gotta cut down on the coffeeeee

Hey Steve, maybe you should drink some. Then maybe we could get a complete sentence every now and then.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeH3
WHO LEAVES THEIR VEHICLE RUNNING WHILE FILLING??????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????

Everyone here in Alaska does when it's 20-50 below zero outside!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Flash Point is -45 degrees F
but less vapors in cold temps

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon