H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

dallas007 is on a distinguished road
Default Highway/High Speed

Has anyone taken any long trips in thier H2 (by long I mean cross country)? I am suppose to drive from AZ to IL and am concerned that three days of 75MPH speed limit will take a toll. The transfer case, four wheel drive etc. to me is not made for constant use like that. I will consider renting something if long term wear is an issue. I am going in December and consider taking it fearing snow and ice then.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Highway/High Speed

i drove mine on a three hour drive one day, and then three hours the next day. did a constant 80-85 MPH using the cruise control, had no problems with mine doing that. However i have an h3, and not an H2 and also it wasnt three consequitive days od 75MPH driving. I mean to me it couldnt be much more of a toll than driving in Moab for 3 days

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I've driven from VA Beach to Moab, UT twice. Once in a supercharged LPE H2 and once in a lifted 2 on 38's. No problems at all.

OldHiker has taken trips from NY, to FL, to NC, then to the Rubicon, or Moab. Plus some other places I forget about. All in one trip! TWICE!

H2Rocks has been from OR, to our house, and wheeled a few times along the way with no issues. Plus she's always traveling somewhere pulling her big arse trailer around.

Just get in the truck and go.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

When the Northern Mexican & I caravanned to Moab we did 100mph for about 10-15 miles. Other than a slight browning of Dennis' undies there wasn't any problems.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas007
Has anyone taken any long trips in thier H2 (by long I mean cross country)? I am suppose to drive from AZ to IL and am concerned that three days of 75MPH speed limit will take a toll. The transfer case, four wheel drive etc. to me is not made for constant use like that. I will consider renting something if long term wear is an issue. I am going in December and consider taking it fearing snow and ice then.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

I wouldn't worry I made that trip last august CHI to CO to AZ in two days and AZ back to Chicago in 26.28hrs non stop at speeds well over 75mph. Also did alot of wheeling on that trip and no problems at all even with the summer heat.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
When the Northern Mexican & I caravanned to Moab we did 100mph for about 10-15 miles. Other than a slight browning of Dennis' undies there wasn't any problems.

You forgot to mention the MadMax terrorizing of the middle finger totting hippies.

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisAJC
You forgot to mention the MadMax terrorizing of the middle finger totting hippies.
Where's the wallet?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
Where's the wallet?

HAHA!!! That damn IHOP bish. Rocks got bitten by IHOP too.

The syrup makes you forget things.

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

I have taken some long trips without any problems whatsover. Well, other than my H2 being more comfortable than my Suburban and having my face muscles get tired from smiling so much.

It is an awesome touring mobile.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

I pulled a couple of Harley's in a trailer to Sturgis South Dakota from Utah (about 800 miles) at around 85 mph in the H2. Ten or eleven hours or so, each way.

No problems, even had to leave my friend behind on the way home, because he couldn't keep up in his F350 (his trailer was bigger though).

Name:  IMG_0450 (Medium).JPG
Views: 368
Size:  95.5 KB

Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I drove my 2005 SUV right off the dealer lot from Little Rock, AR to
Carrollton, TX but, first driving home to load duffle bag and stuff which allowed for an hour break in period at about 60MPH. My speed from my home to Carrollton was an easy 80 to 90MPH and based on the MPG meter on the rig I would stay around 11 to 12 MPG and when i could draft behind a big rig sometime would get 14mpg along with the tailwind in effect at the time also.

My theory is to drive the ride from the day you buy it like you will drive it everyday and on special times like on weekends when you want to race someone. I have done that with every ride I have ever had including back in the day when I would build a new Street/Race engine and I never have had a failure in 35 years. Some of these early year rides were street and strip rides where I may have built a new engine and the tranny if synchro's were acting up adding more HP etc. & not because the engine failed. I never had any trouble back then smoking the tires right after pulling out of the shop or sometime if no stalls available at friends. Then it would have been from front yard at my house after having building engine & tranny. This may have happened in the rain/sleet or some snow with a tarp draped over the hood in January laying on plywood stabbing the pilot shaft of the T-10 top loader by yourself because all your friends were busy and could not come, LOL.
This really did happen. I never had a failure.

I know there are lemons but, using my theory I have not ever experienced trouble with any ride i have had just driving it from day one how I would drive it normally which was usually fast and chirping the tires when possible and braking at the last possible moment at stop sign or light thinking I'm saving time being late and then smoke the tires on launch. I sat down one day and figured this hard stop and start strategy saved me about 10 seconds at each stop sign or light. The timed saved did not even begin to pay for the brake pads and rotor or drum turning I had to pay for.

Well it is nice that most all become more layed back as we get older and understand that there are better ways to look at our driving expience, NOT.

I think car makers add break in notations in owners manual to cover their own tail. How it would do that I can't understand. Maybe if they can get somebody that had failure during that time and the guy would answer when questioned "Sir did you follow the break in schedule as written in manual as well as not exceeding 50MPH for the first 632 miles exactly?" "UUUHHHHH, the new car owner responds, well no but, I did make a trip to my sisters house about 200 miles away a few days after purchase. I had to take Interstate route and followed the 75 MPH speed limit." "Well sir that voids your warranty now and we can't help you except to offer you a special deal on the engine repair and try and help you by cutting our cost as much as we can" Then the poor new car owner with 300 miles on his car is later handed a bill from dealer for $2500.

Run the DOG out of the rides. They are metal, well mostly anyway, yet they are built with a factory tolerance in anyway to protect themselves against certain potential liabilities early in new car life.

Oh well my soapbox stand once again.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03H3
*picture of three hotties*

Any of those yours?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Aficionado_VT is on a distinguished road

Old 09-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Hummer Novice

RandyP is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Highway/High Speed

I flat towed (towbar) my wifes lifted Jeep Wrangler behind my Hummer for about 1200 miles round trip with no problems, had the cruise set between 70-80 most of the trip, there was some places during the trip I was running closer to 90. I did use the tow/trailer option setting when I was at lower speeds in town where I was dealing with traffic and redlights but on the interstate I did not. I did the 600 miles down in one day and returned over the same 600 miles in a day a few days later, both driving days the weather was hot and humid with temps at or over 100 degrees and had no problems at all with the truck, everything ran well within normal pressure and temps. Now I did have to replace the fluid in my wifes front differential as it heated up and foamed out on me but hey its a Jeep what did she expect
Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Hummer Expert

OldHiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
I've driven from VA Beach to Moab, UT twice. Once in a supercharged LPE H2 and once in a lifted 2 on 38's. No problems at all.

OldHiker has taken trips from NY, to FL, to NC, then to the Rubicon, or Moab. Plus some other places I forget about. All in one trip! TWICE!

H2Rocks has been from OR, to our house, and wheeled a few times along the way with no issues. Plus she's always traveling somewhere pulling her big arse trailer around.

Just get in the truck and go.

As Ken stated, my wife and I have completed 4 major trips. Two trips on the right coast each lasting 4 weeks and over 4500 miles. These were warm up trips for our 2 cross-country trips. These were over 7500 miles lasting over 8 weeks each time. We did Moab on both trips and threw in the Rubicon on one of them.

Is the H2 capable - YES!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

if you were driving an H1 then you might have issues, but with the H2, I've been to myrtle beach and back twice in my 2006, 670 mile trip one way, rolling between 75 and 85 the whole way...it will take it dont worry!

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

LV_H2 is on a distinguished road

Back and forth many, many times from Las Vegas to San Diego (350miles) at 90+ MPH often thru the desert in summer.

Long trip this summer though southern and northern california, fully loaded with bicycle on roof also at "high" highway speeds.

Rides Great EXCEPT FOR THE DAMN WIND NOISE.
Mechanically perfect.
Very comfortable.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
2004 Victory Red LE H2 - Traded
Old 09-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

emeldahay is on a distinguished road

That photo makes me want to burn some rubber - or perhaps ride bareback

Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Oregon to Virginia and back BABY! Two little kids and a pile of Hershey's Chocolate! YUM! (I did give most of the kisses out in Colorado tho ) Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
Oregon to Virginia and back BABY! Two little kids and a pile of Hershey's Chocolate! YUM! (I did give most of the kisses out in Colorado tho ) Thanks again everyone!
I didn't get any kisses, sweety.