H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-02-2005, 05:03 AM

drs121 is off the scale

Just purchased an 05 H2 and now I need an external tire carrier. I have looked at the options. The dealer is pushing the SMA, I like the Adventure Accessories because it looks like a clean/easy install, but Fabtech Manufacturing has a carrier that is removable which would be very useful for me around town (although heavy to do) and whatever I pick needs to be rattle free.

I know plenty of people have the sma and it will be ok, but has anyone used the Fabtech ?

here is the link on it i found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7944795748&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT#ebayphotohosting

Thx.

drs121 is off the scale

Just purchased an 05 H2 and now I need an external tire carrier. I have looked at the options. The dealer is pushing the SMA, I like the Adventure Accessories because it looks like a clean/easy install, but Fabtech Manufacturing has a carrier that is removable which would be very useful for me around town (although heavy to do) and whatever I pick needs to be rattle free.

I know plenty of people have the sma and it will be ok, but has anyone used the Fabtech ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7944795748&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT#ebayphotohosting

Thx.

drs121 is off the scale

Thx.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the best and most informative HUMMER site on the net.

As far as your question goes: Get your woman to carry it.
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=747109669

This one is offered here:
http://www.h2source.com/h2otc.htm
Looks good and I have not heard one complaint.

Rattles seem to be a common element with the SMA carriers.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

H2 Spare tire carrier:

Note the non-rattling, never in the way, always available, spare tire. I had the swing-away carrier and it SUCKED. Seizing up, not lining up correctly, it basically made the tailgate impossible to use.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2005, 01:20 PM

drs121 is off the scale

Thx for the feedback but mine needs to go in the garage and I'm pretty sure I won't clear with the tire on the roof. otherwise that would be the best option. which brand did you have that didn't work ?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to trash SMA but here in town the local dealer stopped dealing with them or offering them because they seize up all the time. I was just at the dealer and the techs were beating one with a sledge hammer to try and free it up.

I'd recommend:
http://www.predatormotorsports.com/i...WPROD&ProdID=5

I've heard lots of great stuff about this companies products. Opinions are like "A" holes everyone has one and this was mine on the subject. Best of luck with your choices. And welcome to the Board.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea what brand mine is, but I would stay away from the SMA and any brand that closes with a pin-type assembly rather than a latch. I've heard the pin assembly rattles like crazy and the noise will drive you insane. I have a latch on mine, and although there's definitely a trick to getting it closed right, it's no problem once you get the hang of it. I would advise against the locking latch like on the Ebay tire carrier - the last thing you need is to have a malfunctioning or gunked-up lock and you can't access your tire or rear hatch.

Stacy
Old 01-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

I bought the SMA online(ebay) for like 390 before shipping just before the holidays...drove over 2500 miles with it on (needed it for the trip to throw the dogs in the truck) and have had no rattle issues and installation was easy enough, and swinging open/close these past few weeks while shopping/letting the dogs in and out hasn't been an issue.

On another note : Also spent a lot of time researching a dog fence/barrier to block off the truck and the back seat as well as a dog bed to protect the trunk floor and have a sweet setup ( i'll post pics when I get home - still on the road ) ended up w/ a Kennel Aire fence...very nice/convenient setup....a tad bit of rattle...but its amazingly and conveniently quite when I'm listening to music
Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

oh yeah...sorry...apparently SMA started sending out the tire carrier with a rubber sleve to protect/quiet the latch assembly, which mine has...snug fit, just would be nice to have some sort of lock instead of just the t-pin...was thinking about maybe getting an all-purpose lock and some locking lug nuts...but really the spare should be sitting on the floor of my garage unless I'm going on a road trip. ( which is easy to do w/ SMA - didn't seem to be an option with any of the other carriers )
Old 01-04-2005, 01:46 AM

drs121 is off the scale

Tully thanks for the feedback. I too need a dog barrier so that is good info. I didn't know the SMA allowed you to remove the assembly with the tire on it. how heavy/hard is it to do?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the predator tire carrier, bought it off of ebay. Just traveled down to AZ with no problems with it. I like the opening assist and the drop-down feature. Definately makes getting to the tire easier, and if you're in a tight spot you can drop it to the ground to open the rear hatch.

'03 H2
Old 01-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the dog barrier, definitely shop around. I was able to get a great one (pressure mounted) for $34 online....the same product can go for $200 on other sites! The prices definitely vary. As long as you stick with a large-name company, you should be able to get a good deal.

Stacy
Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM

drs121 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dochummer:
I have the predator tire carrier, bought it off of ebay. Just traveled down to AZ with no problems with it. I like the opening assist and the drop-down feature. Definately makes getting to the tire easier, and if you're in a tight spot you can drop it to the ground to open the rear hatch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has anyone tried to use a spare tire carrier in conjunction with towing a trailer ? specifically i am towing a wakeboard boat and concerned about how to open the rear hatch when boat is hooked up.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

All in unison: "SMA Sucks!"

Mine was the SMA tire carrier, and I am in agreement with everyone else. Don't sell it, don't buy it, don't own it.

(Thanks Socrates )
Old 01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

drs121,

As much as I dislike the added tire carrier, but I needed the interior space so I broke down & got one, read so much -ve about the SMA & just as luck has it, Dan was selling his SUT unit & I now have it mounted on my SUV. I really like the SUT unit more because it uses a latch, and the carrier mount (passenger side D-ring assembly)is supported by 3 bolts as compared to the normal 2 bolts. May want to check here:

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=592106229
Old 01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

Wheelin is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam in CO:
Seizing up, not lining up correctly, it basically made the tailgate impossible to use. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you did buy one that sucked. My swing away is bowed from abuse as it has had to support the weight of the rig several times. Mine still works great...and I can still park in the garage. Been using it a year and a half now. The damn shaft is even bent. I just put some grease on it every few months.

http://www.suvxccessory.com/huss-47111.html
Old 01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

Wheelin is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam in CO:
All in unison: "SMA Sucks!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. And if it don't suck, it is probably way overpriced.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

HHummer is off the scale

I have used the Predator for several thousand miles including considerable off-road and it has performed perfectly and there is no rattle.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 PM

RI Hummer is off the scale

After almost going blind from reading all the past posts I have decided to go with the Predator also. Just got one from E-bay for $499 with free shipping. I have seen the SMA and really did not like the pin design instead of a latch and the numerous complaints of squeaks on the message board.

Thanks to everyone on the board that has given comments and opinions, it really helps a Hummer newbie like myself.

RI HUMMER