H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-19-2005, 10:14 PM

monkey is off the scale

Hi, I've always driven stick-shift in my life and I just loved it. I really wanted a manual transmission for my H3, but since it's on hold for unknown period of time, I had to buy an automatic. I've never had an automatic car in my life, so my question is: Isn't automatic boring to drive??? Is it fun?? Isn't it girly for tough-looking trucks like H3? Do girls like guys driving an automatic car?? Please tell me your experience with your automatic H3.. Thank you.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:14 PM

monkey is off the scale

Hi, I've always driven stick-shift in my life and I just loved it. I really wanted a manual transmission for my H3, but since it's on hold for unknown period of time, I had to buy an automatic. I've never had an automatic car in my life, so my question is: Isn't automatic boring to drive??? Is it fun?? Isn't it girly for tough-looking trucks like H3? Do girls like guys driving an automatic car?? Please tell me your experience with your automatic H3.. Thank you.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Only have about 10-15 minutes behind the wheel of the H3 but in my opinion, an automatic is nothing but girly. Are the H1 and H2 girly trucks? Not in my opinion but neither are offered in manual. Does that make them girly I have had both manual and automatic transmissions over the years and by far prefer the auto. It really depends on your personal preference, what you drive and where you drive. The only time I really dislike a manual is in traffic and depending on where you drive, like Orlando, that could be most of the time. Just my opinion and just like assh*les, everyone has one

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Hummer Expert

jp's-h3 is an unknown quantity at this point

yo sup!
i have owned a 1986 4runner for 13 years w/ an auto trans.
i really enjoyed the hands free driving, especially off road.
the 5 spd has a lower gear ratio for off road and the mpg rating is a little better. if it were not for the lower off road gear ratio i would get the auto trans, but the stick is fun to drive! i ordered mine on june 3rd and talked to my salesman (here in salt lake) yesterday and he told me that there were no constraints on my h3 w/ the 5 spd trans. and it is scheduled to arrive in mid july. good luck. jp's-h3
Old 06-20-2005, 01:06 AM

firm is off the scale

I'm like you I drove a manual all my life, except when I was 16 and drove my parents auto. I like the MPG's of a manual, and that was my main reason for ordering an H3 manual. Since the constraint has been placed, and I wonder if it will ever come off; (Since the H3 is suppose to be a luxury vehicle) I've decided to go with the automatic. I'm moving to Miami next year, and if the traffic is as bad as I think it is (worse than Orlando), it might be time to upgrade. People were concerned with the H3's power, that is the other reason I was looking at the manual. I am planning on having the H3 for a long time, and for it to be my work truck. Later I plan on buying a sports car, which will definitely be a manual. I figure it's good to have at least one automatic. Plus as my career takes off, I will want some jet skis, and I can tow those around with a automatic better. Like Newbie says, you have to look at all the factors. I know if I were in Orlando, I would definitely have an automatic. I am really concerned with the 12-13 mpg that everyone is getting with there H3's.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:42 PM

trading13 is off the scale

I'm waiting for the manual, its the main reason I became interested in the H3. A manual and an suv whats better than that?! I don't think there is any other suv that offers it. The BMW X5 has steptronic, whatever that is.

Automatics are boring for sure but too common to be girly. I'm a girly girl and I don't know any girls that could care less if a guy drives a stick or automatic.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

gc2488 is off the scale

Yeah, and manual transmissions are definitely
the European style, too. Most rental cars in
Germany are stick-shift!

I drove both a 5-speed manual Hummer H3
and a 6-speed manual Jeep Liberty. I prefer
the solid feel of the Hummer stick shift!
Hope they can start making lots of them before
the end of the year at least.

Most tiptronics including the BMW unit
have pretty significant and annoying latency.
I've heard that the special "DSG" 6-speed
from Audi (and now Volkswagen) is an exception
to this, and very responsive. Still,
I like having a clutch.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

We have a White one that's a manual, our last one. Let me know if you're interested, it'll go quickly. Email me for more info: aluten@sewell.com or call me at 972.588.7515.

Andy Luten
Sewell Hummer of Plano