H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with deep snow driving

We FINALLY got some decent snow here in Pittsburgh. To give you all a little background, we got about 6 inches of snow, then 1/2 inch of ice, the about another 5 inches of snow on top of that. I am running stock BFG's with 10K miles on them, was in the 4 wheel drive setting 50/50 split, not the highway 40/60 split. Both instances I was driving somewhat slow due to not knowing why lies beneath the snow/ice.

I was doing some recon on a few repo houses that we had assigned to us, was breaking fresh tracks up a steep drive way and started to spin out at the top couldnt get up any further. Put it in 4 low, locked the rear diff and it took me three tries to get up over the top. My first question is...should i have left the rear diff unlocked and used the T2 setting on the traction control?

can you physically tell when the rear diff is locked other than the indicator light on the dash? in other words does the truck drive or feel different when the diff is locked?

At another property i was on a slight grade, lost forward momentum and started to spin. Tried to back up and spun. Panic sets in as i was about a 1/2 mile off the main road wondering who the heck was going to pull me out. Put it in 4 low and crawled right out.

Any tips that you more seasoned H2 drivers could offer would be appreciated.

I can honestly say that had i been in the avalanche that i used to drive, i would have been screwed, blued and tattooed stuck!

I just need to learn the finer points in operating the 4 wheel system of this beast.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale
Default Re: Help with deep snow driving

Just curious but does your rig have the BF Goodrich or the other tires Hummer is going with? I know the BFG's are "Severe Winter" rated and is a great snow tire.

On ice they are okay but not close to siped winter tires. We get a ton of snow where our cabin is and the hills are steep. I do slip on ice but 4WL gets me out of most places.

As for TC2, that allows more spin so I've never used that in the snow or ice because I'd rather have the traction control assist me immediately. At least that's my logic.

P.S. - I know there is controversy over siping tires but from my own experience, it helps greatly in winter traction. On my Yukon I put a set of BFG's without siping them. They performed great but again, I do slip on icy hills, especially out of my cabin driveway. Two weeks later I had them siped. I noticed an immediate difference in winter traction. The traction control light on my Yukon doesn't come on near as much.
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

The stock BFG All Terrain tire is best in snow and ice. They are a great winter tire. They have more rubber for more traction and they don't throw the snow out from underneath your tire like mud treads. Unlike mud tires, these need to stay on top of the snow. It sounds like you did great for the conditions.

If you want to play a little you can proceed slowly until you get stopped. Don't spin the tires because that just makes you dig down. Back up a few feet and proceed again until you're past the point you stopped last time. When you start to spin; Stop. Repeat.
I have gone over several snow drifts using this proceedure, and not had any trouble, however, I have a winch and the trees are plentiful. If you travel slowly the snow will smash under your tires and help you proceed along. (Snow conditions have to be right for this to work)

If you really want to have fun, FLOOR IT! but before you dig to China, stop and back up. Try again. If the snow is really deep, like over 1.5 or 2 feet then you might not have much luck at this. These rigs are heavy and tend to act more like submarines than boats.

The best advise would be to keep trying different things.
I learned from a friend, that if you keep moving your car while you have traction, you can make your own path and move back and forth until you make a pad (so to speak) so you can turn around. It takes a long time, but it's possible to do if you don't fall to the bottom of the snow pack and hi center. I always used to back up for miles until I got to a safe place to turn around. Hummers really do great in snow with the 4wheel drive system they have. I don't use TC2 unless I'm in sand or deep mud where I want all the tires to spin really fast. The traction control uses the Anti lock brakes and slow the tire down that's spinning. If it spins too much the brakes overheat. With the TC2 button on, the brake system is not enabled as quickly. ( I think) It also works differently when you're in 4 lo, but I couldn't go into details. I just know when to floor it, and when to lay off.

Anyway, Have fun, be safe and keep warm!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
These rigs are heavy and tend to act more like submarines than boats.

LMAO...So True!
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 02-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr
We FINALLY got some decent snow here in Pittsburgh. To give you all a little background, we got about 6 inches of snow, then 1/2 inch of ice, the about another 5 inches of snow on top of that. I am running stock BFG's with 10K miles on them, was in the 4 wheel drive setting 50/50 split, not the highway 40/60 split. Both instances I was driving somewhat slow due to not knowing why lies beneath the snow/ice.

I was doing some recon on a few repo houses that we had assigned to us, was breaking fresh tracks up a steep drive way and started to spin out at the top couldnt get up any further. Put it in 4 low, locked the rear diff and it took me three tries to get up over the top. My first question is...should i have left the rear diff unlocked and used the T2 setting on the traction control?

can you physically tell when the rear diff is locked other than the indicator light on the dash? in other words does the truck drive or feel different when the diff is locked?

At another property i was on a slight grade, lost forward momentum and started to spin. Tried to back up and spun. Panic sets in as i was about a 1/2 mile off the main road wondering who the heck was going to pull me out. Put it in 4 low and crawled right out.

Any tips that you more seasoned H2 drivers could offer would be appreciated.

I can honestly say that had i been in the avalanche that i used to drive, i would have been screwed, blued and tattooed stuck!

I just need to learn the finer points in operating the 4 wheel system of this beast.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just a few things.

A locked up rear end is NOT a good thing when it's slick. A month or so ago I had the exact situation that you're describing. It took me three tries because 1. My tires were worn to nothing. 2. I was too lazy to put the chains on. On the first try, I tried to just drive up in 4hi and only made it about a third of the way. On the second try, and I KNEW better, I tried it in 4 lo with the rear end locked. Bad BAD idea, I almost slid sidways over the side! (when locked, the wheels spin the same speed and when one tire slips, they both slip and if you're on a side hill or in a curve, you're in trouble) Third try, in 4hi, I gave it hell, kept the speed up, and the traction control got me to the top. I got new BFG ATs the next week!

Our 500' 16% grade driveway:

If you'd have had chains on, your Hummer would've walked up that driveway, no problems. Tirerack.com has the low profile Delta chains that are so nice and easy to put on. If you have them on all four tires, you've got a virtual sno-cat on your hands! http://tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM
Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Thanks for all the help!

I am running the stock BFG's that came on the 06, not the goodyears they are putting on them now.

I think what was giving me the trouble was that layer of ice underneath the snow. I am thinking based on what i've read that 4LO with no locker and no TC2 is the way to go. I forgot that the TC2 allows more wheel spin which is what i didnt want.

All in all i was totally impressed with how the machine went through the snow.

Had i been more familiar with the lay of the land and the presence of hidden obstacles, I would have went with the full speed ahead method, but i wasnt sure what was under the snow.

I have to say thats one hell of a drive way photo you have there Huck. Looks like you need a snowcat to get up there!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

I like to use TC2 depending on the snow. If it's soft like sand, I feel that the TC2 lets the wheels keep spinning so that I don't get bogged down. What everyone said though is really good advice. The baby steps method I've used and it works well. If you start to lose traction, or can't gain any, sometimes turning the wheel back and forth will help. Sometimes if you're on a bump and you turn the wheel, you'll lose some resistance and start moving.

I'd say safe depths are (very low chance of getting stuck):
8-9" of hard, crusty snow (if you fall through anything deeper, you're SOL )
15" of powder
Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Hummer Authority

even though i had a few tense moments in the snow until i got it figured out i was amazed at how well the hummer did in the snow. I know my avalanches would have got stuck. My wife asked me what i would have done if i would have stuck the hummer. I didnt have a good answer, only person that could yank me out is my dad with his SUT and he's 1.5 hours away. I'd never live that down getting stuck in a hummer.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Hummer Expert

Mike, it's all about the shovel. I've been stuck so badly that you'd think it was hopeless. Roll up the sleeves, start diggin'! Clear under the vehicle, make ramps for the wheels to start and giterdone. I've seen people standing by the side of the road waiting for God or some other imaginary help when all they have to do is work.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, I can just see him tell his other banker/realtor dudes to "Get out and start kicking snow fellas! Take off a shoe and dig with that if you have to!"
Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of good tips in this post, I prefer momentum in deep snow. One common mistake people who are new to 4wd vehicles"not saying you are" but lots of people back out of the throttle in cornering situations. Use momentum and the throttle is your friend in A corner. Let the truck drive you through, don't slide it through.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
Yea, I can just see him tell his other banker/realtor dudes to "Get out and start kicking snow fellas! Take off a shoe and dig with that if you have to!"

One of these is in the rear jack compartment at all times! http://www.snowclaw.com/

Old 02-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Hummer Authority

nah not new to 4x4's here, been driving them all my life, just have never had the H2 in any deep snow before so i wasnt sure how to proceed especially in an area that i didnt know what might be under the drifted snow like ditches or other nasty things. I agree that speed is your friend in deep snow, momentum can carry you thru the tough spots.

This post has been great in teaching me how others go thru the deep stuff and also how to use the 4wheel system of the H2....my lesser vehicles had one "setting" for 4HI and 4LO and that was it....no locker....no TC or TC2....

looks the the PA snow is on its way out we were in the high 40s low 50s yesterday around pittsburgh it was fun, but glad its done!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Hummer Authority

I forgot to add:

I was high-centered once in this impossibly thick snow (kinda like what fell here recently). Anyway, I drove on top, but then sank and the entire underbody was hung up. So I had to go inside and ask for help (I was at a party) and a guy with a Jeep said just put a log/stick under the rear tire. I found one that was about 4" in diameter, and shoved it under the tire. This got me thinking about the dealership demo where you climb the hill with only one tire not on the rollers. So I put it in 4L, locked the rear and gave it some gas. Just like that I backed out... I mean, we had dug a little bit before the shovel broke, and I had tried going back and forth with no movement. But that log did the trick. So I just wanted to pass that on.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

tazhog54 is on a distinguished road

Just got back driving in the snow from N.C. to Calif. Pulling my 32 foot trailer That's salt all over the windshield
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Hummer Authority

It's a great tow vehicle!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

rusty is off the scale

Do not get MT tires for the snow. mine are excellent in mud sand etc, but really bad in snow.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62

Funny you brought up tirechain.com, I ordered from them few weeks ago... UPS lost the package and I emailed those guys, basically all I got out of them is I am supposed to wait until UPS finds it They wouldn't send out replacement. So after waiting around for 2 weeks and out of the 5 or 6 emails I only got 1 reply (which is the one telling me to just wait), I had to call my credit card company to reverse the transaction.