H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Elcova Rookie

MJB_Hummer is off the scale
Default Air Suspension (Air ride replacement bags)

Thanks to everyone with all the posts about the air ride problems. I had all the symptoms. It would stay up sometimes and sometimes empty. It also did it more when it was cold. I read all the posts and thought maybe sensor.
I just replaced the passenger side air bag yesterday. Problem solved.
Just wanted to let you all know how easy. ALL you need is a floor jack and phillips screwdriver. First, jack the rig by the frame, so the suspension hangs. Next remove the plastics from the wheelwell (phillips). Now, firmly grab the airline from the top of the airbag assembly and carefully pull up to remove. To remove the airbag unit, there are three tabs on top and one of them has a lock on it (check out your new one). You press down on the lock tab and turn the bag counter-clockwise to release. Then just bottom of the unit off the axle.
Now, just follow the steps in reverse order. Problem solved for $139 and about a half an hour of time. By the way, my bags rubber looked really good, but upon removal, I can see the crack and dry rot where the bag collapses on itself. That is the reason for the leaking when cold or on a certain incline. When hot outside, the rubber will seal on itself as it expands and heats up. Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 BULLY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air Suspension (Air ride replacement bags)

Cool, do you have any pics? What year is your hummer.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Elcova Rookie

Sorry, did not take pictures. I was in a big hurry. it really is that easy and once you get the new bag, you will see how to install it.
My H2 is a 2003.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

JoeHummer is on a distinguished road

How did you know that yours was staying inflated? I hear my compressor running all the time and want to check. Is it as easy as just looking at them and you can tell???

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, just don't have any experience with the bags.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Elcova Rookie

Well, If I am understanding your question correctly, then yes. I could tell by looking at the vehicle. When fully inflated, sitting flat, there is about 7-8 inches between the top of the tire and the wheel well. When it was flat, only about half that or less. Very visably noticable. Mine was not leaking bad enough to have the pump run constantly. The pump was running noticably more often and I was getting the error message on the dash every once and awhile: "Service Air Suspension".
Also of note, I live in San Diego so most of the time warm. This winter we did have some cold spells, especially out east where I live. When it was cold out, I would come out in the AM and the thing would be flat and the pump would take about 5 min or so to pump back up. Then when I would get work, it would stay up all day. The bag was leaking from the bottom where the seam is and where it rolls up on itself. That is where it was cracking. You really could not see the damage until it was removed from the vehicle.