H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-12-2005, 06:20 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Went to the L.A. Auto Show, saw the new H3: cute

First-off, that rear axle section is gonna drag-ass offroading; the leaf-springs extend well in front AND behind the axle and have several bolts protruding out to "glide" over rocks. Much worse then that, the shock absorbers have HUGE bracket plates that attach UNDER the leaf springs really bad.

Man...I can think of so many times when my little sway-bar nubs dragged on rocks....the H3's brackets are gonna be like dragging anchors...and with all those bolts sticking out at each spring plate attachment....sheesh: real smart on GM's part!!!!!

The underneath of the H2 is not plated entirely, but at least the frame members are basically like protective bars. The H3 has a lot of "stuff" hanging down and prone to contact with boulders, rocks and taking damage. Also not good.

Beyond that it looks fine. Not as stable on the side-slope but it should hang fine beyond that.

The ONLY advantage I see is that it's a bit more narrow and could find more lines and be more nimble on a trail then the wider H2 or H1.

Better mpg, less costly (more disposable?), easier to park & manuever...etc.

I can't wait for our first H3 owner to tell us how their rig cost half as much and can out-wheel us.

Well..at least we're the original imitators!!!!!
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

First-off, that rear axle section is gonna drag-ass offroading; the leaf-springs extend well in front AND behind the axle and have several bolts protruding out to "glide" over rocks. Much worse then that, the shock absorbers have HUGE bracket plates that attach UNDER the leaf springs really bad.

Man...I can think of so many times when my little sway-bar nubs dragged on rocks....the H3's brackets are gonna be like dragging anchors...and with all those bolts sticking out at each spring plate attachment....sheesh: real smart on GM's part!!!!!

The underneath of the H2 is not plated entirely, but at least the frame members are basically like protective bars. The H3 has a lot of "stuff" hanging down and prone to contact with boulders, rocks and taking damage. Also not good.

Beyond that it looks fine. Not as stable on the side-slope but it should hang fine beyond that.

The ONLY advantage I see is that it's a bit more narrow and could find more lines and be more nimble on a trail then the wider H2 or H1.

I can't wait for our first H3 owner to tell us how their rig cost half as much and can out-wheel us.

Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Old 01-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Hey Guys....Happy New year to all of you!

I wonder if the H3 will be able to drive around the new tracks being built at some of the dealers? Just curious?

Ric
Old 01-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sfox:
I can kinda see what you are talking about, but it doesn't look any different underneath than a leaf-spring Jeep.

S <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fron that photo, the only issue i can really see being a potentially BIG issue, is how the shocks are mounted at the bottom. I can see a few lower shock mounts getting broken off.
everything else, big deal, somone will make better skid plate protection. A 3" to 4" lift will cure that ground clearance issue.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve R:

Well..at least we're the original imitators!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the info steve. How did the interior look? Did they show the leather seating? I'm sure it wasn't up to par with our H2's or H1's, but was it up to par with the interior of a GC limited?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
As Seth says, you could take most 4WD's around the track without many major issues, they are not that challenging. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would disagree. While the obstacles are simple, they are designed to show the limits per GM's information. For instance, not many other stock 4x4s can scale an 18" wall. Many that do not have at least a rear locker would have problems with the little deal that shows the traction control or would have problems with the moguls.

Most would not be able to make it through the ditch that shows the H1's and H2's stated approach and departure angles. I doubt too many other new vehicle dealers would be willing to take their unsold vehicles through the track as most would probably incur some type of damage, even if they made it.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

From the beginning, it didn't seem that GM put even as much effort as they did in the H2 to make the H3 wheelable. At least the H2 has some design features that make it more trail-worthy but it doesn't seem much, if any, thought was given to taking the H3 off-road. It really looks to be more of a marketing item than anything else.

I would like to have seen something that would compete with Jeep since it is in that market, but it does not appear that any consideration was given to trying to compete at all. We'll see in a few months when they hit the lots. I'll go look but I am not expecting much.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Banned

I don't think the track tests "the ability" of the H2 much at all in respect to truly wheeling. What I am referring to is the specifications that GM puts out about it's capabilities, the track tests those to the limits as defined by those specifications and not too many other vehicles have specs that exceed the H2 in that regard. Mainly the approach, departure and breakover angles. Also, st a minimum a good limited slip and BTM is required or even a rear locker for the moguls. The track is well designed to exploit the specifications of the H1 and H2 as compared to other stock 4x4s and some of those specs are definitely needed while off-road.

One good example is that if you get on the little rollers and have the real locker disengaged and touch the brake, you will not make it over because there is only one wheel with traction.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

I don't feel that the rear shock setup will cause any problems, how many of you have wheeled a CJ5, CJ7 or YJ?. The way it sets is fine for the general public, offroaders will add a lift and larger tires. Saying that it's no better than a Jeep has no merit. The Jeep CJ,YJ,TJ isn't that great of an offroader without a lot of modification. And when has a locker, outside of the over priced and underpowered Rubicon, been offered in a Jeep? All they've had is the infamous "Trash Lock". I also feel that the H3's motor is a big step up from Jeep's I-6. Yes, I have owned and wheeled many Jeeps -

75 CJ5
91 YJ
93 YJ
02 TJ
91 XJ
98 ZJ
99 WJ
02 WJ