H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the first Jeep the other day and couldn't believe that POS. That thing is so damn stupid, it'd get stuck on a small curb. The only trail it's rated for is the Yellow Brick Road.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

It is rather odd and sad that someone asking a legitimate question in a forum of purported enthusiasts would have to wade to a lot of nonsensical, chest-thumping, testosterone-spilling, 5th-grade prose. Why would the moderator allow such posts to go on ad infinitum is beyond me. In any case, went out the other day with H3, Commander and G-wagon (see my photo's as posted earlier). The H3 off the rack without the Adventure pkg was able to keep up with the fully-loaded Commander and G-wagon. Going up a steep gravelly hills was when the lack of a rear-locker was most missed but the H3 went up none-the-less which is to say if you ask whether the H3 can get from A to B then yes. If you wanted to make it seem like a commute to work then the Commander with the Quadratrack and rear lockers and the G-wagon with 3 position lockers did that without a sweat (I personally like to sweat a bit when going off-road). Of course you are also comparing $30K to $40K to $90K. The G-Wagon and the H3 are about the same size while the Commander is longer. Off the rack ground clearance was highest for H3 then G-Wagon and then Commander. There were mogul hills in which that resulted in the Commander staying at the bottom.
With regards to H2's, well I wanted to go where the width of the H2's would have been prohibitive and I already have a Suburban for those commutes to school and Church where the H2 does well. As for the Jeep Liberty? Wow, that is not even in the same category. In the end, I supposed that you could take an SUV off the rack (Liberty, 4Runner, H2, Commander, Kia, etc.) and spend more time and money to increase capabilities to equal other rigs you see at Moab and such or you could just spend $20K for a Wrangler, $30K for an H3, or $90K for a G-wagon off-the-rack and go any where you want (at least for the G-wagon i.e. Alaska across Russia to Paris). Hope that helps.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 12-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Hummer Professional

Ok, I supposed that I will regret feeding the trolls, but...
http://web1.servforce.com/~cj8/

Need I say more? (Yes, at some point when more H3's are out there, I'm sure some one will get an H3 in such a predicament...Hope that it won't be me!)
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 12-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

Sure it could happen to anyone... but the liberty successfully rescuing that 2... now that would have been priceless.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

Mike B is off the scale

CPR
Old 12-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

I've had several Grand Cherokee's and they were very nice on the street and good off road. The H3 is much better (w/ diff locker) off road and probably not as good on the street. I'd buy based on my needs not the the brand of vehicle.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

we just saw one on the freeway and paced him for a mile coming back from christmas shopping much smaller tires , less ground clearance , that was what I was looking at . Darla noticed the back looks like a land rover rip off . I guess with a hemi you would have a nice mall racer . its still a benz-daimler-chrisler-whatever
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Hummer Veteran

PCBeach is off the scale

I had 2 Jeep GC 4X4. Nice car. But Jeep had same model from 1993 until 2005. It was a small SUV, wandered on the highwy, and the seats were not comfortable. The H3 with 265 tires, large seats and a comfortable ride is great. Jeep had to get a bigger vehicle on the road. The Commander name was retired years ago and was an ugly vehicle then. I think they should have built a larger Grand Cherokee.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

The commander looks like a bad atempt of a updated 80's wagoner.Only thing I like is the rear sunroofs they did get that right.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 PM

tmiller is off the scale

I think the commander looks like an old Isuzu Trooper.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

The Commander is Jeep's version of The Griswalds Family Truckster!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr. I - Man:
The Commander is Jeep's version of The Griswalds Family Truckster!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is the best comparison for the Commander that I have seen yet

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

The Commander will most likely leave you stranded as Jeep has a poor record for staying out of the shop, then you get to fight with DC about warrenty issues that they try to get out of.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeep Commander review was on Speed the other night. It was very entertaining. The commentator kept talking about the JC being at home offroad and it's Trail Rated abilities. So they took off down some GRAVEL roads. WOW, he was very impressed. Even pointing out how the JC is at home "off road". This continued for some time.

Then another guy joins in and they hit "some of the hardest trails Jackson Hole" has to offer. More GRAVEL roads. I'm not kidding here. One "trail" even had a 6" gully running through the middle of it. The stupid JC kept scraping. But, hey, the JC is at home "offroad".

Then things got real interesting. It started to rain. OH NO! So they hit some more hard "trails" and you guessed it: more GRAVEL.

But WAIT: They had one more trick up their sleeve. While it was raining they took off up a GRAVEL road covered with WOOD CHIPS. Yep, WOOD CHIPS! The commentator even mentioned how other 4x4's would leave you stranded in such conditions. Oh my...

Well, I'll tell you all one thing, If you ever see a JC on the trail, just ask him to follow you. And keep your eyes and camera trained on him as you swing off the GRAVEL and WOOD CHIP road.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

Bring a tow strap to tow the commander.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:47 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

he wheeled wood chips
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 12-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Banned

SledgeHummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ETD:
It is rather odd and sad that someone asking a legitimate question in a forum of purported enthusiasts would have to wade to a lot of nonsensical, chest-thumping, testosterone-spilling, 5th-grade prose. Why would the moderator allow such posts to go on ad infinitum is beyond me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi ETD,

I am not the moderator, nor am I replying in his name, he may reply to you. But if the whole issue is beyond you, allow me to shed some light :

1- It's pathetic to compare an H3 to a Commander, should you ever find yourself in position to do so, it's obvious you dont understand vehicles, let alone 4x4s, so you're better off buying a Commander, we beg you We have standards to maintain

2- The testosterone-spilling replies are a natural human reaction to the insult of comparing an H3 to a Jeep Commander.

3- No, it's NOT a legitimate question on a Hummer forum, it's like a vegetarian attending a sunday BBQ and asking the chef, what he would recommend, the Burgers or the cobs. It's a BBQ sherlock.

As to the Jeep Commander, frankly speaking, the rear looks almost exactly like an H3, the upper part (with dual sunroof) is borrowed from a Series II Land Rover Discovery, the front looks like it was designed in Russia or eastern europe, reminds me of the Lada. But hey....it's got a Hemi, of course it does, it NEEEEEDS a Hemi to MOVE an ugly looking attempt of a 4x4. it's the only "attraction" Damiler-Chrysler could find in their barn. Honestly, I am very happy for Jeepers and congratulate them on the Commander, they deserve it...hehehehe.

SledgeHummer
Old 12-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Hummer Professional

Aaaah Sooo. I'm beginning to get it. Jeep bad. Hummer good. Only trolls compare Hummer to Jeep on Hummer forum. Ok. Guess that's why my avatar has a "novice" under it . BTW, will post pics of my christmas eve outing. Man, I love my vehicle! (Although had a tough ending, those with weak stomach should not look )