H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-26-2006, 01:54 AM

WORKIN is off the scale

Actually, the aluminum looks different because it's gaulded (sp?) The driveshaft tube spun around the yoke before it came apart.[/quote]

correct me if i'm wrong, but the yoke appears to be cast, and the tube i assume is not. so the aluminum's properties are different which accounts for the difficulty in welding, my wife manufactures aircraft engine fins for ge and they have the same problem.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:44 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WORKIN:
my wife manufactures aircraft engine fins for ge and they have the same problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fly a lot. That sucks.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WORKIN:
Actually, the aluminum looks different because it's gaulded (sp?) The driveshaft tube spun around the yoke before it came apart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

correct me if i'm wrong, but the yoke appears to be cast, and the tube i assume is not. so the aluminum's properties are different which accounts for the difficulty in welding, my wife manufactures aircraft engine fins for ge and they have the same problem.[/quote]

No correction necc. I'm sure it is a different type of aluminum (cast vs billet) I just was thinking a better weld job would have prevented this.

Hopefully they'll get their stuff together for the new one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
my wife manufactures aircraft engine fins for ge and they have the same problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fly a lot. That sucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's FUNNY AS ****... I don't care who you are...LOL.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:34 AM

WORKIN is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
Actually, the aluminum looks different because it's gaulded (sp?) The driveshaft tube spun around the yoke before it came apart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

correct me if i'm wrong, but the yoke appears to be cast, and the tube i assume is not. so the aluminum's properties are different which accounts for the difficulty in welding, my wife manufactures aircraft engine fins for ge and they have the same problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No correction necc. I'm sure it is a different type of aluminum (cast vs billet) I just was thinking a better weld job would have prevented this.

Hopefully they'll get their stuff together for the new one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:

I fly a lot. That sucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's FUNNY AS ****... I don't care who you are...LOL.[/quote]
she wont fly eithier, somethin about being low bidder.......lol
Old 01-26-2006, 04:22 PM

AlamoJim is off the scale

welding aluminum is tough enough - but that has
to be 2 different types of aluminum which would be even
tougher (as explained above)...what
possible purpose would you have for going this
(I assume) much more expensive route - that would become
a probable weak link in the drivetrain? I mean sure,
you would save some weight - but at what cost?
is it so you can shine it up and 'bring the bling'?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> what possible purpose would you have for going this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer is simple. I was having a vibration problem and after remaking, balancing 4 different driveshafts, CV joint driveshafts, the final cure was to make a driveshaft out of aluminum. It took away that last bit of vibration.

Mark
Old 01-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

Man that sucks. I hope they build ya one this time that holds up much better. The welding is just plain ****.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:22 AM

AlamoJim is off the scale

well I hope they do a much better job of penetrating the weld this time...I agree with the majority - bad welds SUCK...

we had a guy out with us last time at the den, same thing happened - driveshaft just came apart on the first obstacle.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AlamoJim:
well I hope they do a much better job of penetrating the weld this time...I agree with the majority - bad welds SUCK...

we had a guy out with us last time at the den, same thing happened - driveshaft just came apart on the first obstacle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely agree... it sucks. Funny thing is I went on my first off road wheelin (mud slinging and hill climb, not rocks) and went through the entire thing with no problems.

The next day after it was cleaned, I had to drop a customer's car off for an alignment about a block away (after I had driven over 100 miles)

I was backing out of the alignment place and the driveshaft broke loose there. (about 1/2 mile from my shop)

Luckily it didn't come apart waaay up on top of one of those hills.

Hopefully they'll get it right this time.

Mark