H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what 's the correct air pressure when doing it on sand, on highway, and on offroa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill
I'm looking at getting some tire deflators, but man are they expensive! Why?

? There brass,very few companys make them,they work well ?
I had them 2 years and never had to take them apart to clean.
I dont leave them on when offroading so they dont get dirty.
I do check them once a year(not off by more then 1 psi) reset to 18lbs spray a little wd on the top .
Also get the no lose valve caps ,like having a extra hand.

Oh! best of all... they sound cool airing down ,real cool when you drive airing down cool factor alone is worth the 50 bucks.(you cany even fill it up for less then that)
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Steve #1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what 's the correct air pressure when doing it on sand, on highway, and on offroad.?

18 PSI? That's total right? As in 4.5 psi per tire?

For most vehicles / tires, it's not worth getting out of the truck, much less having to air back up if you don't go down to at least 10 PSI.

To get a good ball park, park on pavement and measure from the ground to the bottom edge of the rim. Reducing this distance by 25% will give you the largest foot print you can get (unless you want to get technical and do a ton of measuring). It depends on the tire and weight of the vehicle, but in most cases your looking at about 5 PSI, but may be anywhere from 2 to 10 PSI.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Default Re: what 's the correct air pressure when doing it on sand, on highway, and on offroad.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve #1

For most vehicles / tires, it's not worth getting out of the truck, much less having to air back up if you don't go down to at least 10 PSI.

To get a good ball park, park on pavement and measure from the ground to the bottom edge of the rim. Reducing this distance by 25% will give you the largest foot print you can get (unless you want to get technical and do a ton of measuring). It depends on the tire and weight of the vehicle, but in most cases your looking at about 5 PSI, but may be anywhere from 2 to 10 PSI.

Your either a funny guy or you have no idea what the f your talking about. Or you 4 wheel on the moon
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what 's the correct air pressure when doing it on sand, on highway, and on offroa

Quote:

Steve,
Evidently you are running helium in your tires. When you air down stop inhaling it!
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 AM
Hummer Guru

Yeh ill put in 2psi in the tires and go wheeling.
I dont think you can go that low with bead locks

This thread got invaded by AE's or trolls...or some Frickin stupid newbee's .

Last edited by fourfourto : 08-31-2007 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:37 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVCOGuy
Same to you. Post up your extream wheeling pics? Web wheel much?

Heres me on the moon
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

hummerabia is on a distinguished road

How's the moondust up there?

On road 35, desert dunes 14, rocks & wadi's 20 running on 33" BFG A/T KO'S

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: what 's the correct air pressure when doing it on sand, on highway, and on off .?

My first inclination was to blow you off and let you go on with wasting your time airing down to 18 PSI.

As for web wheeling, I learned how to drive off road before the INTERNET existed.

I don't have many picture, I'm normally busy driving, not in it for the pictures.

I found an article that goes in to a lot more detail to explain what I said.
http://www.4x4now.com/sfjun96.htm

2 PSI is extreme and and in many cases would require bead locks. You do need to be prepared and have an extra spare or two as well as means of re-seating a bead. It is also the low end of the spectrum but you will find that the big difference comes in those last 10 pounds.

Take it or leave it guys, If you don't feel safe going under 18 PSI, fine, it doesn't effect me unless you're on the trail in front of me.

fourfourto I'd appreciate an apology for your comment "This thread got invaded by AE's or trolls...or some Frickin stupid newbee's ." as I can only assume you were referring to me. I don't like being called stupid, especially when I'm right.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto I'd appreciate an apology for your comment "This thread got invaded by AE's or trolls...or some Frickin stupid newbee's ." as I can only assume you were referring to me. I don't like being called stupid, especially when I'm right.

I never said you couldnt go down under 18 lbs im sure 15 or 12 is fine but going under 10 without beadlocks.I dont think anyone here has beadlocks on a 3

Another newbie thinks hes right.,Your link didnt prove anything except the lower the air more traction.I you go under 10psi you could blow(your favorite word) your tire off the rim.
If anyone here agree's with this guy let me know.
Also does anyone airdown under 10 ? I dont think so

Steve #1 if you could get a few regulars to agree with you then I will take back my comment otherwise

Not sure about you steve #1 but GVCOGUY got to be a AE My comment was for both of you.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Hummer Professional

Mr_Pat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Steve,
Evidently you are running helium in your tires. When you air down stop inhaling it!
or nitrous oxide
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw888
any recommend air pressure for tire.....?

What? There are some that might try to help but.....

What tire? What wheel? Road or off road? What rig - H2, H3, H1 - Jeep?
Come on man... gotta help us out here (ESP not working).

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...t=air+pressure

Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Seriously, what planet are you wheeling on? I've aired down to 15-18 for rock and 12 for sand that was fine as talc (Oceano Dunes, CA). Where the hell have you wheeled with 2 PSI in your wheels? The article you site does not even mention pressures less than 7 PSI. And nowhere does it recommend that. I guess you could read articles and Web-Wheel with zero or even negative pressure in your tires. What exactly do you personally carry to re-attach your beads? Or do they just adhere from the negative pressure (vacuum)?

Last edited by tower : 08-31-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Hummer Guru

I would assume where talking about a H3
That thread seems to back me up.
Bebe said not to go under 15 psi(rocks)seams low for sands about 12 ,I do fine at 18LBS
The beach at cedar point east hampton last weekend I didnt even air down it had no deep spots a(little slippy here and there)

S#1 do you see why I snaped at you for telling me to run 5psi.

Cant we all just get along I dont like to argue
Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys that run serious rock-crawling rigs run between 1-5 PSI all the time. Of course they're normally running beadlocks. I wouldn't recommend it in the H3. But for rock-crawling, I've run as low as 8-12 PSI. 18 PSI is about the highest PSI I'll run offroad.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Guys that run serious rock-crawling rigs run between 1-5 PSI all the time. Of course they're normally running beadlocks. I wouldn't recommend it in the H3. But for rock-crawling, I've run as low as 8-12 PSI. 18 PSI is about the highest PSI I'll run offroad.

X2

For the H3, with stock wheels, and Toyo M/T 35's.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
I would assume where talking about a H3
That thread seems to back me up.
Bebe said not to go under 15 psi(rocks)seams low for sands about 12 ,I do fine at 18LBS
The beach at cedar point east hampton last weekend I didnt even air down it had no deep spots a(little slippy here and there)

S#1 do you see why I snaped at you for telling me to run 5psi.

Cant we all just get along I dont like to argue

Funny, you don't like to argue.

I never said what pressure to run in your H3. I told you how to determine what pressure to run in your H3.

Your the one that got stuck on 2 PSI and 5 PSI. If you read my original post you will see I used the fallowing phrases:
"It depends on the tire and weight of the vehicle"
"in most cases your looking at about 5 PSI"
"may be anywhere from 2 to 10 PSI"

These are called generalities. Most Americans have learned this by they time they get to a fifth grade English class. I apologize if I have over estimated your grasp of the English language.

I've only had my H3 a few weeks. I haven't taken it off road, so I don't know specifically what the tire pressure ends up being.

I do know that 25% is 25%, but remember, this is to get "a good ballpark" . If you are having a hard time with the concept of reducing the sidewall height by 25%, go out and measure how high off the ground the bottom of your rim sits. Respond with that measurement here and I'll do the math for you and let you know what height you need to go down to. At that time it will be your responsibility to use a tire gage and find out how much PSI is in your tires. You may want to go a little lower on sand or keep it a little higher on sharp rocks The the key words were "a good ballpark" . If you don't understand the way in which I have used the term "ballpark" go here and look at definition number 2.

Last time I was on a beach (North Padre Island) I was running 4 PSI in my F150 my buddy was running about the same in his full size Dodge. We ended up with a guy in a Ranger tagging along with us. This run is 110 miles of mostly soft sand with a mile or two of shell and an additional 10 miles of packed sand and 10-15 miles of highway to the closest gas station. We hit one of the area of shell at high tide. The guy in the Ranger was worried about trying to pass because he almost got stuck a few times and was running low on fuel as it was. After talking with him a bit we found that he was running 20 psi in his tires and had been in 4wd the whole time (normally you use 4wd when you start and stop and kick it in to 2wd the rest of the time). We dropped his tire pressure down and he was able to make the rest of the trip without getting stuck (the way home was all lose sand) or running out of fuel, and had a lot more fun in 2wd.

Maybe the beach you were on and didn't air down was hard packed an you didn't need to, or maybe you just didn't know better like the guy that was with me in the Ranger. The difference is that the guy in the Ranger could see how little air we had in our tires and could see that it was working for us and believed us when we told him that it would work for him. He learned a little something on that trip.

fourfourto, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just trying to explain it to you. Your the one calling me stupid and throwing out the .
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower

Seriously, what planet are you wheeling on? I've aired down to 15-18 for rock and 12 for sand that was fine as talc (Oceano Dunes, CA). Where the hell have you wheeled with 2 PSI in your wheels? The article you site does not even mention pressures less than 7 PSI. And nowhere does it recommend that. I guess you could read articles and Web-Wheel with zero or even negative pressure in your tires. What exactly do you personally carry to re-attach your beads? Or do they just adhere from the negative pressure (vacuum)?

Apparently you also have a hard time reading.

All my off roading has been done on earth, but since you brought it up, on planets (or moons) without atmosphere special non pneumatic tires reinforced with wire cable or mesh are used.

I never said I had offroaded with 2PSI, I have gone down to 4-5 PSI on North Padre Island.

I'm not sure what the article I linked to said as far as PSI. I found that it gave a good explanation of the 25% rule (which was the point I was trying to make).

What do I carry to reattach beads? Well, here's a little list of things that can be used, which at any given time I may have an assortment of.

- High lift jack - handy for removing the wheel from the vehicle as well as pressing the wheel back on to the rim.

- Water and rags for cleaning the rim in order to get a good seal.

- A tire iron

- a valve stem tool

- high pressure air or CO2 tank

- can of starter fluid and a lighter - not saying it's safe, but most of the time it works.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
"in most cases your looking at about 5 PSI"
"may be anywhere from 2 to 10 PSI"

I've only had my H3 a few weeks. I haven't taken it off road, so I don't know specifically what the tire pressure ends up being.

I'm not sure what the article I linked to said as far as PSI.Then STFU! No one is interested in your guesswork. When you have walked the walk, then you can talk!

I do know that 25% is 25% (Brilliant insight)

Gosh, do you think it's wise for you to be giving advice, bitching out others or criticizing their ability to understand English (given the way you spell and punctuate)? I don't think you are making any friends here and you don't own anything!

Last edited by tower : 09-01-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

I didn't notice any punctuation or grammar mistakes (spelling is not my forte), but once again you have missed the point of what I was saying.

I didn't say I "owned" anything or anybody. You failed to read what I had typed.

You're running in circles, first implying that I only know about offroading from articles I've read on the INTERNET. Then when I say I don't recall everything that was in the article (which I found after my initial post) you tell me to STFU and not be guessing. Which is it? Do you want me to know from experience or know from things I've read? Would you prefer I be like the rest of the lemmings and just blindly agree with you?

If you are trying to make it look like I don't have any experience, you are wrong and once again haven't read.

As far as making friends, that's unfortunate, but there are some friends I am just as well of not having.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't notice any punctuation or grammar mistakes That clearly supports my position (spelling is not my forte), but once again you have missed the point of what I was saying. Again you expect people here to be mind readers and know what you mean instead of what you write. But no one here values your opinion enough to bother.

If you are trying to make it look like I don't have any experience, I am not the least bit interested in making you look any particular way. You are doing a far better job at that than I ever could! They say "You can't tell a fool 'til he opens his mouth." Thank you for proving the rule!

As far as making friends, that's unfortunate, but there are some friends I am just not worthy of having.